Taking your pet abroad, it sounds like an enormous task. Many posts have been made about rules and procedure. Almost all mention you should start 4 to 5 months before you leave. So most people calculate their leaving date minus those months. And then you get full blown stress once the due dates are up…BUT that 4 to 5 months legal waiting period is actually a MINIMUM. You can easily start the process NOW, regardless off when your departure date is.
The trick is very easy, the Export procedure has 10 steps in total. You only need to do the first 4 steps as soon as possible and your pooch can leave anytime…
What is it?
Its a small chip that has a unique 15 number code. This code is stored in a database, connected with your information. Its implanted in the neck of your dog with a special syringe. No sedatives are given (just a pinch in the neck) so most dogs are not happy about it.
In theory, any vet that gives ISO certified microchips. But to avoid any problems, we strongly recommend to go to Shenpu clinics.
- Shenpu Xuhui 565 Xujiahui Lu, near Liyuan Lu (Tel. 5301 8000) 徐家汇路565号， 近丽园路
- Shenpu Zhabei 4445 Gonghexin Lu 共和新路4445号 (Tel. 6698 7009)
- Shenpu Changning 185 Tianshan Lu 天山路185号 (Tel. 6291 3730)
- Shenpu Putuo 1545 Daduhe Lu 大渡河路1545号 (Tel. 5265 5636)
Note: Shenpu clinics are open 8.30 am – 9 pm every day. (Xuhui even 24/7). But for registration best go between 9 am and 5 pm. You do NOT need an appointment, simply walk in.
As soon as possible! Although Shanghai Dog License is NOT connected to the export procedure, they require the same microchip. So no need to wait. Puppies however need to be at least 12 weeks old, as they are still growing, the chip can move.
Same as Microchip, as soon as possible as you need it for Shanghai Dog License too. Again, If you wait until last minute, this has to be done minimum 4 to 5 months before your pooch departure date. Take into consideration that puppies need to be at least 16 weeks old and any Rabies vaccine given before Microchip is implanted or given by vets other then Shenpu, are not valid.
1. Besides the Rabies vaccine, your dog will also need normal vaccines against Distemper and Parvo etc. Most used in Shanghai is the Vanguard 5 vaccine. Your vet should have given this to your dog at his first check. If your vet did not do this, you can combine this with Rabies vaccine but it is not recommended. Both are an attack on your dogs immune system so it is good to keep them a week separate.
USA or Canada can skip this stepIf you are moving to USA or Canada, you can skip this step. There is no bloodtest required for export to USA or Canada.
What is it?30 days after Rabies vaccination, your doggy will need a blood test to check if he has enough antibodies, basically to check if the Rabies vaccination worked.
The result of the bloodtest stays valid if you keep your dogs Rabies Vaccinations within one year of each other. So even if you are planning to leave next year or later, you can have bloodtest done now.
This is another reason why it is a good idea to start sooner then the minimum of 4 to 5 months. To pass the test, your dogs result has to be bigger or exactly 0.5 IU/ml. If your dog doesn’t pass, it does NOT mean he has rabies, it means he doesn’t have enough anti-bodies yet.
Now this all depends on the size of your dog. Measure him standing up from nose to beginning of tail and from feet to top of his head. Your dog must be able to lie down, stand up and turn comfortable in the crate.
Again, don’t wait last minute to do this, the sooner you buy it, the more comfortable your dog will be. Make it his happy and safe place. You can take the door of the crate and award your dog with treats whenever he goes in there. He will start to associate the crate to a positive event.
Option 1: In Cabin
Travel bags of Petsfit are perfect for this. Just type in Petsit 猫包 in Taobao. We went for Medium size which is a bit too big but the bags are only weight, not measured. On day of flight, just but peepad in. No need to put water bottle or food tray as you can put those in your hand luggage.
Option 2: Crates checked in as luggage
When your dog can fly on same flight as yourself, you can check him in like you check in your luggage. The crate will be placed in a special compartiment of the airplane with airconditioning.
ADD TO CRATE:
4. Put “Live animal” stickers on every side of the crate. As they are impossible to find finished, you can just print your own. Just put the templates you find below on a memory stick. Then go to office supply store and buy sticker paper. Do not buy the cheapest paper as they will come loose easy. Then take the sticker paper and your memory stick to your local print shop. Make sure they print them as “glossy”, otherwise the ink will come right off. The whole process will cost you 50 RMB maximum.
Option 3: Cargo
The option to avoid at all cost because it comes with a big price tag and your pet will be travelling longer. This option requires you use an agent and these guys charge big. Just to stand beside you at airport, they will ask 800 RMB or even charge for export document double, they just give it another name… If there really is no other option, please consult the Cargo section of your chosen airline to arrange this.
Option 4: Emotional Support Animal
When you book your flight, immediately contact customer service and specify you will have an ESA pet with you.
These are the first 4 steps, you can do well in advance. Most important is to keep the Rabies Vaccinations within one year of each other and use Shenpu for this. Then the bloodtest will stay valid and you can leave anytime… When the time to leave comes closer, all you need to do is step 5 to 10.
9. If your dog goes in the hold, go to the “Special luggage” desk and give your dog a last kiss. When your dog goes with you in cabin, you can just take him through Customs with you. So no need to go to the “Special Luggage Desk” . You will need to take him out of crate for X-Ray so be prepared for that.
CONGRATULATIONS! YOU DID IT!
If you have any remarks or suggestions, please let us know! Also any happy after-pictures are greatly appreciated, we love those !!!